Advisory Council on Food and Environmental Hygiene

PROPOSED WORK PROGRAMME FOR 2000

This paper gives a forecast of items to be discussed by the Advisory Council in 2000.

(a) July 2000

(i) Environmental hygiene services - an overview To brief Members on the environmental hygiene services provided by the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department and new initiatives to improve such services.
(ii) Proposed amendments to food labelling legislation To seek Members' views on the proposed legislative amendments for strengthing the legal requirement on labelling of prepackaged food.
(iii) Proposed new regulation to control the feeding of drugs and chemicals to food animals (iv) To seek Members' views on a proposed regulation to regulate the use of clenbuterol and other chemicals by farmers in feeding livestock and poultry.

(b) September 2000

(i) Mandatory food recall To introduce mandatory food recall mechanisms employed by other countries and to seek Members' views on introducing a provision to the Public Health and Municipal Services Ordinance (Cap 132) to empower the Administration to make subsidiary legislation regarding detailed food recall measures.
(v) Streamlining of restaurant licensing procedures To brief Members on the measures implemented or being planned to streamline and expedite the restaurant licensing procedures.

(c) November 2000

(i) Regulatory framework for genetically modified food - the broad direction To seek Members' views on the proposed regulatory framework for genetically modified food.
(ii) Review of the Open Categorisation Scheme To brief Members on the review of the Open Categorisation Scheme for resturants (commonly known as "5-star" grading scheme) and to seek Members' views on the proposed way forward.

REGULAR REPORTS

3. In addition, on food safety and environmental hygiene, we will provide Members with -

1. statistical information on enforcement actions against licensed and unlicensed food premises;
  2. results of the food surveillance programme;
  3. progress reports on the introduction and promotion of Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) to the food industry; and
  4. reports on liaison with overseas and Mainland food authorities and other international organizations

Secretariat
Advisory Council on Food and Environmental Hygiene
Environment and Food Bureau
5 May 2000

Back