The Primary Healthcare Office (PHO) was established under the Food and Health Bureau on 1 March 2019 to oversee and steer the development of primary healthcare services at the bureau level. Since 1 October 2019, the former Primary Care Office of the Department of Health has been integrated with the PHO. The major initiatives of the PHO include the following:
- To develop District Health Centres (DHCs) on a district-based and new model which leverages on public-private partnership and medical-social collaboration in providing primary healthcare service;
- To enhance multidisciplinary, cross-sectoral and inter-organisational co-ordination in primary healthcare;
- To develop, update and promulgate the reference frameworks for primary care setting;
- To maintain and promote the use of the Primary Care Directory;
- To promote primary care, family doctor concept and family medicine practice.